Thursday, December 16, 2010

Geminids Obscured by Clouds in Appalachians

The Geminids Meteor shower was impressive in many parts of the world.  The Christian Science Monitor had an article posted online that observers saw as many as 70 meteors per hour, even in poor light conditions.   We were socked in with clouds here in West Virginia, and I am sad to say that we saw nary a streak of light as the Geminids came to visit.  It has been cloudy and snowing on and off for the last week or so, and winter time sky watching has been put  on hold for a while.

This morning, I woke up to another 2 inches of snow and it is still coming down.  We may get 6 or 8 inches for this next batch of snow.  It will make for cold mornings over the next couple of days, as a good snow cover always seems to lower the morning temperature values by a few degrees.  The long range forecast keeps a cold air mass in place over the next week.  It looks like I will be watching a lot more snowflakes fall from the sky than meteors.  But, I enjoy the snow showers just a much as a good Meteor Shower.  

Luckily, I took the day off from work today.  I will start work on compiling a list of the Best Meteor Showers for 2011 and will probably have my rankings posted within the next couple of days.  Stay tuned!

No comments: