Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fall arriving in West Virginia

It has been quite dry lately, and with the new moon in place over the past few nights, there have been some good sky watching moments. At times it was cloudy, especially during the morning hours. I will be out tonight looking in the western sky as Venus makes an appearance next to the crescent moon. If I have time, I may take a few pictures if I can find a good spot.

It has turned noticeably cooler the past few days, as we are under northwest flow. There has been a considerable leaf fall as well under the breezy conditions. It seems the leaves are just coming down without turning into pretty fall colors. With the dryness in place, it seems that the fall colors over West Virginia may not be as nice this year. I noted some color in the higher hills, and I suspect the higher elevations, like up near Elkins and the rest of the eastern mountains, will be reaching their peak color within a week or two.

No comments: