Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Clouds Block View of Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse in West Virginia

I kept a watch on the sky for most of the night last night, but was skunked by the clouds and was not able to see the lunar eclipse on the winter solstice. There was a thin veil of cirrostratus clouds hanging around for most of the night and the moon was just barely visible through this thin veil of clouds. My hopes where dimmed as  the clouds lowered and thickened just as the lunar eclipse was set to begin after midnight.

After a while, I gave up and went to bed as flurries started to fall from the sky.  During the eclipse, from my bed, I noticed that a red glow did occur that reflected off of the clouds.  It did look a little eerie outside last night through the wee morning hours.

I'd like to here about your winter solstice eclipse report.  Feel free to leave  a comment and tell us about your experience with this historic lunar eclipse.

No comments: